Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Less than two weeks and counting

Hello friends, yup, less than two weeks and counting. A little nervous but very EXCITED!!

Training has been going well except for today....rain, rain and more rain. Next week I will be tapering ( I hope), that always seems to be the hardest for me. I always ask myself, " Did I train enough, did I push enough, did I, did I?? etc."

I feel ready, I have worked hard, as I'm sure all the "Climbers" have.



Here I am with my two friends, "Mountain Mentor", Tarek Husayni and Boulder at Water fall Glen, hiking a beautiful nine mile loop. I can't say it enough...without his guidance I don't know if I would be as ready to "Summit" as I am today. I have been picking his brain for many months on training, food, water, etc. This particular lesson was on breathing at high altitude. He's a humble man, so when I mention how terrific he has been to me, he changes the subject.



                                                                


I have met the most interesting people on this journey of mine. With my 40lb. backpack and my walking sticks, people always come up to me and ask what I'm training for. This particular day my sister, Sue, and I met up with a gal named Joanna. She is a Mountaineer and I was telling her all about the Breast Cancer Fund and Climb Against the Odds 2014.The very next day I happened to bump into her at Swallow Cliff (stairs). She said that she hasn't stopped thinking about the "Climb". Yup, I think I found a climber for 2015. I let her know that I'm here to help in any way I can.
 
On Monday, Memorial Day I met my good friend Bern at Swallow Cliff for a morning of stairs. We bumped into Mel and Dave, what a great couple they are, chatted a bit then continued.  Between the heat and the crowds, unfortunately after 17 repeats I need to go home. I wasn't feeling well and I knew better than to continue. The very next day I returned and completed 30 repeats with my 40lb pack..hooray!!


 
You are looking at my training hill in Lisle, a ski hill. It doesn't look like much but believe me, it's a decent hill. I come here once a week for a 40 repeat with my 40lb pack, walking sticks, water, food and my good friend, my I pod. As I continued with my hill, up and down, up and down, a young gal came up to me and asked me what I'm training for, once again I tell my story. Courtney is her name,this young face, also a Breast Cancer survivor. I am climbing for you too Courtney!!
I am so very humbled, as of today my total donations are at $12,107.50, my goal was $6000.00. Thank-you my special friends!!
 
" Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" .....May Angelou
   

No comments:

Post a Comment